Saturday, November 23, 2013

On Being Thankful


I have been going through a bible study focused on thankfulness over the past two weeks.  After coming head-to-head with some of the most well-known scriptures on thanksgiving and gratitude, I am beginning to understand how limited my view of thankfulness really is.  I'm learning a lot and since it is timely, I'd like to share some thoughts as we approach this week and the Thanksgiving holiday.

Thankfulness is not a feeling.
Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! Sing to him, sing praises to him, tell of all his wondrous works! 1 Chronicles 16:8

When I come across the topic of thankfulness, I usually start to make a catalog of all the good gifts God has given me, and it then of course reminds me how much I really take the blessings in my life for granted.  But I am learning that even if I simply recognized God's gifts, I would still be so far away from the kind of thankfulness God desires.

In other words, the age-old advice to "count your blessings" falls incredibly short.  To be truly thankful people, we must MAKE KNOWN his deeds and TELL of his works.  Simply making a mental note (or even a written one!) of "what I am thankful for" is not enough.  We must tell others the personal story of God at work in our lives - not only to a select few, but on a widespread scale.  This means that we should remind ourselves often of God's work and take every opportunity to acknowledge to others that all good things in our lives come from God.  We need to stop taking personal credit for things that God has done.  Thankfulness is so much more than a feeling; it is a way of life that seeks to glorify God in every moment.

Thankfulness is not dependent on good circumstances.

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17

So what about when we can't find much good around us?  How can we be thankful then, too?  When you serve a God who is in his essence full of goodness and love, thankful living doesn't depend on our circumstances.

Give thanks in all circumstances.  God is calling me to look past my own opinions about my life and instead celebrate his goodness.  No matter how I am struggling, God is still good, and God is still the ultimate king of my life, and I am his dear child.  I think there is also good reason that this high call to rejoice always is accompanied by some key advice - pray without ceasing.

Thankfulness is not quiet.
Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the the rock of our salvation.  Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! Psalm 95:1-2

Thankful living is not a quiet, reserved way of life.  The problem is that we tend to make all kinds of noise when we grumble, complain, or feel dissatisfied with our lives, and we bring God loud dishonor instead of praises.  Making a joyful noise brings God into the spotlight instead of us, and shows others who he really is and what he means to us.

So I'll leave you with this question:  what kind of noise are you making?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank You Kelly! I'm with you on this! "Counting" your blessings is not the same as "Exclaiming" your blessings so that everyone knows our God!