Friday, July 19, 2013

This is Not My Child

In one sense, parenthood is a gradual giving away of one's own child.  If all goes according to design, a parent guides his child on a journey from complete dependence to autonomy.

The process may develop so slowly that you only notice the obvious milestones.  Dropping a child off at his first day of school, watching a 16-year-old drive away, or walking a daughter down the aisle are poignant moments that bring this process into sharper focus.  There is grief mixed with the joy of each step.  It's the grief of giving away your most precious treasure.

On Sunday I baptized my son, and as much joy as that brought our family, it felt like giving him away - all at once.


Baptism is this terrible and wonderful reminder that my child is not my child.  He is God's child.

Ultimately, God did not create Dante to bring me joy, but to bring God joy.
Ultimately, God did not create Dante to love me, but to love God.
Ultimately, God did not create Dante to do my will, but to do God's will.

I need this reminder.  I need it because I tend to take God's gifts and forget that they are God's.  I start acting like those gifts are mine and meant only for me.  My money.  My time.  My life.  My family.  My child.

But this is not my child.  And I am so glad.

This child needs a Father who keeps every promise.  This child needs a Father who never loses His patience.  This child needs a Father who can wash away his sin.

Today, I thank you Lord for entrusting Dante into my care.  Help me to teach him that he is always Yours.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your post is totally humbling, and I don't remember speaking those words at Stephanie's birth or baptism. I have, however, learned that this is exactly why we raise our children to become disciples of Jesus and spread the news. Thankfully, I believe my daughter is on that path... I am ecstatic to serve next to you and with you to make this happen in the lives of our young people.

The Haight Family said...

Beautifully written and so true. Thank you for sharing what's on your heart.

Ani said...

Love everything about this post.

And I can't get over how adorable Dante is.